Greenpeace Africa is an environmental campaigning organization with offices in Southern, West, East and Central Africa. The organization is currently seeking to employ a Communications Officer to join the Communications Unit in the Engagement team and will be based in Kinshasa, DRC.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Communications Officer defines and implements the communication strategy and plans for their specific country in alignment with the Greenpeace Africa communication strategy and the campaign objectives. The Communications Officer also ensures adherence to identity guidelines and profiling plans for Greenpeace Africa.
Communication strategy for assigned campaign(s)
- Effective communication strategies are formulated and delivered under the guidance of the Head of Communication
- Communication and output plans are developed for specific projects and campaigns.
Implementation of Communication Strategy and plans
- Communications are created for a mix of relevant channels and medias,
- External communications are reviewed and approved by Head of Communication prior to being published.
- Provide guidance and training to campaigners and other spokesperson for Greenpeace Africa on campaign message and public relations
- Implement message testing and evaluation of campaign communications messages and materials through media monitoring and coverage analysis
- Overview of communication channels and media platforms is maintained up-to-date and shared with the Head of communication and the campaign team.
- Communication material produced adheres to editorial policies and in line with the identity guidelines across all platforms.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Input is provided to the campaign team on the effectiveness of past communications
- Expert advice on ways to improve campaign communications in the future is shared with the campaign team.
Media relations and Networking
- Build and maintain relations with the media in relevant regions.
- Uses media relations to strategically enhance Greenpeace Africa communication objectives
Content development and Editing
- Regularly provide content for digital team and provide editorial support in digital content creation
- Supporter Newsletter is produced every quarter with a fresh, improved content quality in liaison with Supporter journey manager
Mobilisation and Local Group Support
- Support the Mobilisation Officer for Forest Campaign with coordination of local volunteer groups and volunteer activities in the DRC
- Coordination Mobilisation activity request in support of GP or GP Africa campaign projects
Core job competencies
- Thorough understanding of media operations in the country
- Knowledge of marketing and advertising techniques
- Ability to conceive and implement ideas
- Ability to promote collaborative work
- Post graduate degree in Journalism and Media Studies or equivalent experience
- 3 years of experience in Media / Public relation/ journalism, Strong experience in the media. Understanding of media landscape in Central Africa. Knowledge and understanding in design and implementation of communication strategies
- Experience working in international environment preferred
- Experience with campaign based marketing and branding preferred
- Willingness to travel internationally and within the region
- Excellent written and spoken English and French
How to apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should email their CV and covering letter to the Recruitment Specialist at email@example.com stating the position they are applying for. The closing date for applications is 7th May 2018.
Greenpeace offers market related salary.
Please note that should you not receive correspondence from us within 20 days from the closing date, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.